New projects everywhere!

This Monday and Tuesday marked the end of my gladiator and reef character project. I spent Sunday night after work feeling slightly lost and alone without any uni major uni work to do and panic over.

Gladiator project;


 My gladiator project was a huge learning curve and I made a hell of a lot of mistakes that I didn’t really have time to rectify. It is my intention to go back and do another character project of my own to improve my character modelling skills, and also learn Zbrush in the process. Texturing is something I really want to work on, as well as lighting and taking renders. I feel like I hit the nail on the head with rigging but practise makes perfect and to go back and do everything again will help a lot. Overall I feel a bit rubbish about my final outcome, but it’s only my first character and part of it is coming about from lack of knowledge and access to shaders and all that other crazy stuff I don’t know about that makes stuff look better. Hopefully I’ll have time over Easter for research into such witchcraft.

Alsooooo we’re starting to learn about UDK for our next project. I’m moving up in the world!

Reef Character;


 Last Monday we were set a project to model our reef character designs. At this point I had no Sculpey to use, and the knowledge that it would only arrive on Friday led me to do some extra environment artwork for the project as this is something I really need to work on and enjoy. I did this piece in Painter as I find it satisfies my traditional background better, and then did some post processing in Photoshop. I’m starting to understand better how to use reference and colour effectively, and how to work in a way that produces nicer looking pieces. I’m still far from where I want to be, but maybe I’ll get there eventually… right?



 So finally after much complaining my Sculpey arrived. Armed with greater confidence than I had for my first character model, I worked onto the wire and foil armature I had made earlier in the week with the intention of adding more detail and prettiness than my previous. I was also slightly nervous about modelling a male figure as anatomy is entirely beyond me, but I think I did it ok. The spines were a bit of a pain as I couldn’t get them as sharp and curved as I wanted, and getting some of the detail was difficult, but I’m pleased with how it all turned out in the end. Sculpey makes me happy.



In the realm of now we are revisiting the National Space Centre that we visited earlier in the course to look at our improvements since we started. It was closed yesterday however, so I took a load of photos and then went adventuring around the ruins of some sort of factory with some friends in the sun;


 Oh so many texture photos! It has been a good start to the week.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: